It all began on June 21, 1983

believe tag

Jesus Christ is our Savior, our Brother and Friend

Jesus Christ is our Savior, our Brother and Friend

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Holy Crap! Batman

In my case, the phrase is, "Holy Crap! Northern Utah Gastroenterology".

Let me explain in as few words as I can to help you gain the total picture. Well, I was told by my trusted and favorite physician, that when a person reaches the magical and enchanting age of 50, they are so fortunate to have the most awesome-est test performed, known to man and woman. A colonoscopy!

The day before the test, the victim must only partake of clear liquids and at the pre-calculated hour of 5 p.m., the torture begins. Every 15 minutes for the next hour, one must take 4 very special pills to begin the process of elimination (and I don't mean being voted off of Survivor) much worse. Then the fun begins until bedtime. You must cancel all your engagements for the evening. . .just trust me. . .cancel them. Don't forget to push the liquids, like that's the furthest thing from your mind, as your stomach gurgles and the nausea sets in.

I survived the night. Hallelujah sister. I'm feeling a bit dehydrated and weak. I am beyond hungry. I look forward to 11:30 this morning, as the fun begins again. The pills regimen starts over. I can do it. I can feel the pounds just melting off of my fragile frame. The goal, that I dream of achieving, is for my stools (Holy Crap) to appear as clear liquid.

At 2 p.m., I must stop all drinking period. My appointment is at 3:00 p.m., at Logan Regional, if you feel like sending flowers. Do it quickly, I won't be there long.

The only thing that makes this procedure seem remotely appealing, is the sedative that is administered for the examination, and the 30 minutes of sleep or bliss that I will experience. I'll awake none-the-wiser. For all I know, I've been shopping and having lunch with friends.

Just 35 hours later, I can partake of the bread of life. A hot fudge malt sounds delightful.

P.S. The sedative didn't work on me so I felt every turn and U turn only one in my position can begin to imagine. I talked with Dr. Davis the entire time. I think he may have wished I would have gone to sleep, I guess I got a bit chatty. Fun experience, one I'll never forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan, your blog cracks me up. Even when it is not always bright and shiny things (this post is a great example of that) it still makes me smile. Hope everything went well for you. Even though we don't know eachother well I feel like I know you from reading your posts. Thanks! We'll have to work on really getting to know eachother better. :)

ashley.warner said...

Jan!

You are so silly - I am sorry to hear about the holy crap! batman...that stinks...literally. haha jk but seriously, YOU GO GIRL! You are such a trooper! Thanks for being an example to me! love you!

Shake a leg and burst into SONG